I recently read an article that talked about writing being work and I have to agree one-hundred percent. If you think writing a novel is easy then I would think you haven’t written a novel then had to rewrite it and then rewrite it again. Writing is not a hobby or play. It is a job just like any other career. If you want to be successful you must take it seriously. I must confess that I have not taken it as sincerely as I should. I have been just plain lazy and I have no excuses that are acceptable.
So you say “I have this great novel in my mind if I could just find time to put it on paper.” Well, so do I and probably over a thousand others. I know one thing for certain; as long as it stays in your mind it will never become a bestseller. We will never “just find time” we must make time. Remember we all get the same amount of hours in a day the difference is what we do with those hours. How do we manage our time and why can’t we find time to write. I can’t speak for you that is something you will have to do some soul-searching and answer for yourself.
First, I believe that God should always come first in our life. He should have the first and best part of our day. Then we schedule other activities.
I can find all kinds of endeavors to do instead of writing. I say I love to write but now I must search myself and see if that is true. If it is true then why don’t I make more time for it?
- One reason could be fear of being rejected. If I don’t finish the novel it won’t be turned down.
- Fear of being ridiculed; if this has ever happened to you about something you wrote whether as a child or adult then that fear is real. You never want to subject yourself to it again.
- Fear of not being the best. Not everyone can be perfect and there are a lot of novels out there that lack perfection.
- Fear of failure. You tried writing before and your manuscripts were not accepted by a publisher. Well you finished it didn’t you? So you aren’t failing maybe you just need to try a different hook.
- Pure honest to goodness laziness. I really don’t believe this applies to many or any of us. There is always an underlying reason for our lack of production.
If we really and truly want to write we simply must sit down and put words on paper and forget all the other bunk. So what if others laugh? They ridiculed Noah and look what he did (we’re still talking about it today.) If you must have perfection then keep writing until you achieve it. If your fear is failure well so long as you are putting words on paper you are not failing. There are as many reasons for not writing as there are people who want to write. Each of us must decide which apply to us and do our best to overcome whatever it is. No one can or will do this for us it is up to us to write or not to write. The road to being an author is not an easy one. We hit some huge bumps along the way but we must persevere and overcome those obstacles.
Thanks for stopping by, until next time keep writing and before you know it that novel you had in your mind will be a completed manuscript on paper.